Thursday, August 16, 2007

Allah And Elohim

It wouldn’t be long before I chimed in on the ongoing terrorist debate and war. However, let’s look at it from a more practical standpoint to start. While this post is sure to cause some controversy, I will happily accept it and ask that any one who reads it post an opinion, I’m always eager to hear and learn from others.

Posted on
Neal Boortz’s news site is an entry that is titled “LET’S ALL REFER TO GOD AS ALLAH”. After I read it, I started thinking about that title and what it implies. There seems to have developed a tight coupling of violence, submission, and torture with the word “Allah”, and a tight coupling of American culture and freedom with “God”. While I make no case for the radical Islamic extremist, I do stand to make a case for those who are persecuted for their beliefs and culture by those who not only have no knowledge, but also have no desire to gain knowledge about those they persecute.

Disclaimer - This is not directed at Neal Boortz, I love his show. He seems to be a fierce seeker of knowledge. The title alone sparked my thought, his article is of a completely different context.

But, It will behoove the most anti-Islamic figures to find out that the word, itself literally translates to the same meaning as the term “Elohim” – “The One God”. Sound familiar? It’s true. While Allah is and Arabic word and Elohim is a Hebrew word, they both translate to what we all know to be “God”, the one and only. As a matter of fact, most Arabic speaking people (of all faiths) use the word Allah for God. Of course the translations of the Qur’an are subject to the same possible fallacies that the Bible of subject thus given rise to different, radical sects like Al-Qaida and domestic sects like the KKK. But as we fight this war on terror, let us not lose focus on who it is we are targeting.

With the mass confusion that is spreading about concerning religion and religious movements it may help to understand our enemy as much as possible. And the road to understanding that enemy, is much the same as understanding any enemy…study him and really learn what moves him so that we can align are actions accordingly instead of blindly following and risk the lives of the innocent. Remember, we are all in search of.

Comments:
The search for knowledge is an amazing thing... since I have been living ... no really living ... the day that I found most of what people have been feeding me has been lies. well I then understood that I had to seek the knowledge for myself.
Without knowledge, we have nothing ... good post very interesting ... very interesting

keep the knowledge running
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]