Tuesday, August 21, 2007





Mr. Martin


Finally, something positive to discuss. For any of you who don't know this man, allow me to introduce to you Mr. Roland Martin, the super journalist.


I've read, listened to and debated many a topic brought on by Mr. Martin. And while I've always found his work interesting, I've never really agreed with him. But finally, he did it. He brought about a topic that pushed politics out of the way and attacked an ongoing theme head on - God, Sex and Greed.

On Monday (8/20/2007), CNN aired Roland Martin's titled God, Sex and Greed (the preface to a three-part series, God's Warriors), a live talk episode about America's obsession with materials and self gratification. Though this topic is very common (yet relevant), it rendered me speechless because finally there was panel discussion that actually made an attempt at balance. Appearing on air with Roland to discuss religion and America were Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, Author Irshad Manji, and Dr. Almohler, representing the Judaism, Islam and Christianity respectfully. In addition to these, appeared Author Dr. Michael Eric Dyson, Hedge fund manager Timothy Sikes and adult film star Savanna Samson.

Together, these individuals touched practically every aspect of American Culture, from almost every point of view as it relates to God, sex and greed.

I will admit that I wasn't impressed with the representation of greed in the young Timothy Sikes, who explained that he took $12,000 from his Bar Mitzvah money and turned it into $2 million (I see that as genius). But still, good job Roland.

Though I'm not a huge fan of CNN, I did find this episode intriguing as it forces the onlooker to think. Whether liberal, conservative or anywhere in between I believe this series to be helpful in reaffirming beliefs and opening the eyes of Americans no matter the faith.

The remaining episodes of God's Warriors are:

Muslm Warriors, Wednesday, Aug. 22, 9PM ET

Christian Warriors, Thursday, Aug. 23, 9PM ET

Comments:
I will definitely have to check this out. It seems to pinpoint the ongoing philosophy of the American people and the not so American Dream ... But I will definitely check this out.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]