Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"..."

Have you ever met someone and instantly decided they were friendship material or thought they were made to be hated, only to find out later that you were wrong in your assumption? How’s this for a lesson in humility, and stop me if you’ve heard similar stories.

When I was in my junior year (maybe it was my first senior year) in college, I had a job working the front desk in one of the dorms, a co-ed dorm. One day my coworker, a young lady of strong recourse, and I were busying ourselves with the daunting task closing down while containing the pre-weekend excitement that had been building up for the past six hours, when entered a young lady who obviously woke up on the wrong side of the bed. How rude she was! Demanding this and snapping about that. Not to be outdone, my coworker accepted the confrontation with open arms as I sat thoroughly entertained - finally, something to add excitement to this otherwise boring job.

About midway through the exchange, the suddenly exhausted patron of the devil stops and burst into tears. My coworker won. Not so, you see it turned out, that the young lady was called out of class with discomforting news concerning her mother, and in a confused panic, came into our building to use the telephone, it was the closest.

Needless to say, that experience changed my coworker’s life. And it also changed mine, how silly I must have looked enjoying such a brutal exchange. Thank the stars for maturity.

Things are rarely what they seem. Many people’s thoughts and action are relative to their life experiences and what happens to them. Unless we take time to assess a situation entirely, we can and will often find ourselves in similar situations. A friend of man once said that he thought that the one, most important thing that separates humankind from animals is our ability to pause before reacting to stimuli. So before judging and reacting, try to pause and assess situation, you may be surprised.

Comments:
There is certainly a great deal to know about
this issue. I love all of the points you made.



Have a look at my web page: rolling stones songs
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]